The most delicious and creamy dairy-free homemade coconut yoghurt recipe. It tastes better than the store-bought stuff and costs a fraction of the price. Make it vegan by using a vegan setting agent.
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 600G
- 1 can (400ml) of full-fat coconut milk*.
- 1 can (400ml) of full-fat coconut cream* (optional: replace with coconut milk if you find the cream to rich).
- 1 tsp. rice malt syrup (or sugar of your choice).
- 2 tbs. tapioca/arrowroot starch/flour.
- 2 tsp. gelatin powder (or enough gelatin to ‘set’ 500ml of liquid according the manufacturers instructions), or 1/2 tsp. agar-agar powder (not flakes) for a vegan/vegetarian.
- The powder from one capsule of probiotics (optional - for a probiotic coconut yoghurt)
- Place 300ml of the coconut cream into a saucepan.
- Whisk the tapioca/arrowroot starch and rice malt syrup into the cream, and mix well.
- Sprinkle the agar-agar powder/gelatin into the cream and allow it to soften for 5 minutes.
- Heat the mixture over a medium heat, whilst whisking constantly, until the cream reaches 90°C (if you don’t have a thermometer, wait for it to boil).
- Take the cream off the heat, whisk in the remaining cream and all of the coconut milk and pour the mixture into a glass jar (1L) capacity, or multiple smaller glass jars.
- If you have a thermometer, check that the temperature is within 40–50°C, then add the Probiotic Starter Culture and stir it through for 20 seconds. If the temperature is above 50°C allow it to cool to below 50°C before adding the Starter Culture.
- The yoghurt needs to be incubated (kept warm) for 16 hours, to allow the probiotic bacteria time to ferment the sugar. The optimal incubating temperature is 43°C, however as close to this temperature as you can achieve is adequate. A warm spot in the house, an oven on ‘warm’ setting, a thermos, or placing the jars in a sealed esky with some hot water around them, are all viable options.
- After 16 hours, transfer the yoghurt into the refrigerator and chill for at least two hours before serving. Eat and enjoy.
*Note: We recommend choosing a coconut cream/milk that contains coconut kernel extract (greater than 60%) and water only (preferably). In Australia the Ayam brand available at Coles and Woolworths is our preference.