The sweet crunch of this homemade fruit and nut paste marries seamlessly with any strong flavoured cheese. Think: blues, washed-rinds and sharp, hard cheeses. Plus an added dietary bonus: figs and prunes are rich in minerals and fibre to keep our gut happy and walnuts are known for their high antioxidant activity.
MAKES TWO LARGE LOGS
- 165g dried figs, de-stemmed and quartered.
- 95g prunes, halved.
- 50g walnuts, chopped.
- 45g shelled pistachios, finely chopped (or omit and use extra walnuts instead).
- Zest and juice of one lemon.
- Soak the figs and prunes in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain in a sieve or colander for 10 minutes.
- Using a food processor, process the dried fruit, lemon juice and zest until it forms a paste.
- Mix the paste with the walnuts and pistachios (if using) until the nuts are well distributed.
- Form 2 logs and wrap in baking paper. Optional use twine to seal the ends.
- Allow to set in the refrigerator for at least three hours before serving.