Sizzling homemade Halloumi, teamed with a zingy, herby slaw is hard to beat! These vegetarian Halloumi Burgers pack a punch in the deliciousness department while contributing towards your 7+ a day.
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 red onion, sliced.
- 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded/sliced.
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, finely chopped.
- 3 tbs. fresh mint leaves, finely chopped.
- 1 tbs. fresh continental parsley leaves, finely chopped.
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise.
- Juice of one lemon.
- 250g halloumi.
- 2 tomatoes, sliced.
- 4 x sourdough or wholegrain burger buns.
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Optional: Preheat the oven to 180°C (only if you want warm burger buns).
- Heat 1 tbs. of olive oil in a frypan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- To make the herby slaw: Mix together the cabbage, spinach, herbs, mayonnaise and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the buns in the pre-heated oven (optional).
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frypan (or grill pan) and fry the halloumi until golden brown and crispy.
- To assemble: Pile a generous amount of herby slaw on the base of the burger bun, top with the onions, tomatoes and finally the Halloumi.